Altering WhatsApp related files may mess your app if done wrong. Make sure of what you’re doing and do it correctly to avoid any errors. I shall not be held responsible if you screw up your app or device. Understand and perform everything at your own risk.
Before You Begin
- The process requires your Android device to be rooted, for using a root explorer to open and edit the required file. You can follow find and follow the rooting guide for your device here or in XDA forum.
- Any Root explorer app with text editor. Search Play Store.
- Make sure you have WhatsApp Messenger already logged in and working.
- Open the App drawer and tap on the Root Explorer app.
It will prompt for Root permissions, make sure to grant it the same.
- Go to data and tap on data again.
Browse and open the com.whatsapp folder and then the shared_prefs folder. You find the com.whatsapp_preferences.xml which is our desired file.
- Long press on com.whatsapp_prefrences.xml and tap on Open with.
- Select the Text Editor app from the list of programs offered.
The file will open with the text editor.
Now search and find the following line:
<int name=”media_limit_mb” value=”16″ />
- Using the editor, change the value from 16 to your desired value.
- It is to note that the value being entered is defined in MBs and the is to be entered to a maximum of 2048 MB or 2GB.
- Save and exit the file.
- Reboot your Android device once and start using the app again.
And thus, you just expanded your WhatsApp data transfer limit…